Representatives for the Metropolitan Police Department and the Van Ness Days Inn are to appear at the February 15th ANC 3F meeting to provide an update on the recent shootings at the hotel.
The last public update on the January 27th shootings was on January 28th, when DC MPD Chief Robert Contee identified the 20-year-old Waldorf woman who died, and said the people in the room knew each other “for the most part.”
This will also be the first public comment from Jamie Howser, the regional director of operations at Coakley & Williams Hotel Management, aside from a statement on the 27th offering prayers for the victims. Coakley & Williams manages the Van Ness Days Inn.
Other agenda items include resolutions on traffic calming in Forest Hills and on Connecticut Avenue. Mayor Bowser and DDOT in December signed off on the Connecticut Avenue bike lanes project, but the planning alone will take at least 18 months, and the ANC is asking that DDOT expedite other traffic calming measures to address speeding and other reckless driving behaviors. (Documents referenced in the Forest Hills agenda item below had not been posted to ANC3F.com as of this writing.)
The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, February 15th. Here’s the full draft agenda:
ANC 3F – Regular Meeting Agenda
February 15, 2022; 7:00 pm to 8:45 pm
ANC 3F is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Meeting ID: 821 1441 4095
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Meeting ID: 821 1441 4095
Welcome, Call to Order and Roll Call
Approval of the February 15, 2022 Meeting Agenda (includes Consent Items listed below).
I. Consent Items:
1. January 18, 2022 Meeting Minutes
2. Quarterly Report – 1st (10/1/21-12/31/21)
II. Regular Agenda – Commissioner Updates and Treasurer’s Report
III. Regular Agenda – Action Items
3. Resolution Urging DDOT to Address Dangerous Traffic Safety Conditions in Forest Hills. This is a resolution urging DDOT to address dangerous traffic safety conditions in Forest Hills as identified in the memorandum dated January 21, 2022 and supplemented by the sidewalks petition dated January 29, 2022. (10 minutes)
4. Resolution in support of accelerated and additional traffic calming measures for Connecticut Avenue. This is a resolution requesting DDOT to implement, as soon as possible, a full range of safety improvements to make Connecticut Avenue safety for all forms of travel (a follow-up to the Connecticut Avenue Reversible Lane & Safety Study). (5 minutes)
5. Resolution in support of Senior Wellness Center in Ward 3. This is a resolution supporting the creation of a wellness center that would provide a range of healthcare services and resources to senior residents of Ward 3. (5 minutes)
6. Special Exception – 2940 Brandywine Street. This is a request to consider a special exception relief for the construction of an accessory building that exceeds 450 square feet and contains a roof deck. (10 minutes)
7. Special Exception – 3200 Ellicott Street. This is a request to consider special exception relief from the required rear-yard setback for a two-story addition. (10 minutes)
8. Permit – 2930 Brandywine Street. This is a request to permit a nonconforming parking space within the front yard of a detached, two-story principal dwelling unit. (10 minutes)
IV. Regular Agenda – Information Items (ANC 3F will not take a vote on these items).
9. Follow-up on Days Inn Shooting on January 27th. The community will receive an update from the Metropolitan Police Department Second District; and Jamie Howser, Days Inn Regional Director of Operations on the recent shooting incident at the Days Inn. (30 minutes)
Regular Agenda – Committee Reports
A. Streets & Sidewalks
B. Parks & Watersheds
C. Schools & Universities
D. Housing & Neighborhoods
V. Regular Agenda – Community Forum – opportunity for residents to ask questions of the ANC and raise matters of concerns.
VI. Adjournment – Thank you for joining us this evening. The next ANC 3F meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 15, 2022.