William “Bill” Sittig is the new commissioner of single member district ANC 3F06 after winning last week’s special election.
We asked him to introduce himself. Sittig writes:
I wish to thank the residents of ANC3F06 for their confidence in choosing me to represent them in dealing with our neighborhood issues. I hope to serve the community as effectively as our former commissioner, Malachy Nugent, whose big shoes will be very difficult to fill.
I look forward to working with the other ANC3F commissioners, who have done so much in recent years to upgrade the Connecticut Avenue/Van Ness area and who have worked diligently to meet other challenges in our community. I will need to rely on the knowledge and experience of all my constituents and would like to encourage their active participation in maintaining and enhancing life in our beautiful neighborhood.
Working together, we can succeed in resolving difficulties and meeting new challenges.
Commissioner-elect Sittig made a career of public service, and has a long history of volunteer service in the neighborhood. Here’s more on his interests, background and volunteer work from his election flyer. (More below)
Bill will work for you to
- Improve the condition of sidewalks, streets, and alleyways
- Improve traffic flow and ensure safe traffic conditions
- Protect the area’s environment, including noise abatement
- Improve communication between DC citizens and their local government
- Ensure sensible economic development on Connecticut Avenue
- 34-year resident of North Cleveland Park
- 40 years of government service at the Library of Congress
- Graduate, Williams College
- US Army, Vietnam veteran
- Graduate work, Columbia University and University of Michigan Law
Local Civic and Volunteer Activities
- Member ANC 3F Van Ness Vision Committee
- White House (Obama administration) volunteer
- Reader of names at Vietnam War Memorial
- Member ANC 3F Soapstone & Melvin Hazen Parks & Trails Committee
- Rock Creek Conservancy volunteer
- President Washington International School parent/teacher association
For any questions, concerns, or suggestions, you may contact Bill Sittig at email@example.com.