There are two don’t-miss events today (Sunday, September 23rd) in the Forest Hills neighborhood. One is a walk of the Broad Branch stream site at 4 p.m. (information here). The other is a day-long celebration of Rock Creek Park’s 122nd birthday.
See below for the National Park Service’s events schedule.
· 10:00 AM Nature Center Before the Park History Hike An eccentric poet with a cabin in the woods, “bombs bursting in air” from Fort DeRussy during the Civil War… Discover what life was like in Rock Creek Park before 1890 on this two to three mile loop hike with a park ranger. Ages 9 to adult.
· 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM Peirce Mill Peirce Mill Grinds Again Step back in time into the industrial revolution of 1800s America. Explore the four floors of Peirce Mill and see this water-powered machine in action. Milling demonstrations take place on the hour and half hour. After exploring the mill, make sure to visit Peirce Barn next door and learn about the Peirce Plantation and milling history of the Rock Creek Valley. All ages.
· 11:00 AM Nature Center Planetarium Film: The Zula Patrol: Down to Earth The Zula Patrol turns up evidence that the villainous Deliria Delight has been travelling back in time to Earth’s prehistoric past to illegally dump her company’s toxic trash. The Zula Patrollers must find and catch her, before her actions cause catastrophic consequences. 24 minutes. Ages 4-8 and their families.
· 11:30 AM Nature Center Creature Feature Get acquainted with the Nature Center’s live animals and assist in their feeding. All ages.
· 12:00 PM Nature Center Planetarium Film: Black Holes: The Other Side of Infinity This cutting-edge production features high-resolution visualizations of cosmic phenomena, working with data generated by computer simulations, to bring the current science of black holes to the dome screen. 24 minutes. Ages 7 and over.
· 1:00 PM Nature Center Autumn Night Sky: When I Wish Upon a Star Visit the only planetarium in the National Park system. View the season’s brightest stars, planets, and constellations and learn their stories. Ages 5 to adult.
· 2:00 PM Grove 2 West Parking Lot Kids in Park: Track Trails Ribbon Cutting and Ranger-led Walk Join children and health advocates for a 1.8 mile walk on the new Track Trail along Rock Creek. Discover the health benefits of walking for your body in the beautiful Rock Creek Valley. Meet at Picnic Grove #2 West parking lot off of Broad Branch Road and Beach Drive, NW. Rain or shine event. All ages.
· 2:00 PM Nature Center Planetarium Film: Dawn of the Space Age Re-live the excitement of the early days of space exploration, from the launch of the first artificial satellite sputnik, to the magnificent lunar landings and privately operated space flights. 41 minutes. Ages 8 to adult.
· 3:00 PM Nature Center Planetarium Film: Oasis In Space Get transported on a startling and beautiful voyage through our universe, galaxy and solar system in search of liquid water – a key ingredient for life on Earth. Ages 7 to adult. 24 minutes.
· 4:00 PM Nature Center Exploring the Universe Join us in the planetarium for a program exploring the sun, moon, stars, planets, and other space phenomena. Ages 7 to adult.