Whittle School can breathe a sigh of relief. Seven weeks after the District issued a stop-work order, the school has received the building permits needed to resume construction. Washington Business Journal’s Sara Gilgore reports:
That means the school can open on schedule for classes after Labor Day, despite losing more than a month and a half to the delay, according to CEO Chris Whittle…. The permit indicates a fee of $1.42 million.
The stop-work order did not stop all construction. According to Whittle, it mainly impacted plans for the school’s second and third year. This might mean construction on nights and weekends in the future. The school will be providing an update at the April 23rd meeting of ANC 3F, 7:30 p.m. at UDC’s Windows Lounge in Building 38 (behind the Student Center).
Also on the agenda: the resurrection of the historic landmark application for the soon-to-be Whittle School/former Intelsat headquarters at 4000 Connecticut Avenue. In 2014, the DC Historic Preservation Review Board “postponed indefinitely” a hearing on the DC Preservation League’s application. Reasons included the complex owner’s opposition to the designation, and there were no permits on the building that would trigger such a hearing.
And DC Water will send a representative to talk about plans to rehabilitate the century-old sewer system running through the Soapstone Valley. The environmental assessment will be released in mid-May for public comment.
The full draft agenda is below.
April 23, 2019; 7:30 PM
University of the District of Columbia (UDC)
Building 38 – Windows Lounge
1. Call to Order/Roll Call/Approval of Agenda (5 Mins)
2. Public Space DDOT #328610 – 3564 Alton Place, NW
3. Public Space DDOT #326486 – 3950 37th St, NW (Hearst Park)
4. Public Space DDOT # – 4545 Connecticut Ave, NW (Brandywine building)
5. Commissioner Updates and Announcements (20 mins)
6. Committee Reports (10 mins)
7. Community Forum (20 mins)
8. Update from Mayor’s Office on DC’s FY20 Budget – (10 mins)
9. Update from Sidwell School (5 mins)
10. Soapstone Valley Environmental Assessment Update (DC Water) (25 Mins)
11. Hearst Park – BZA Application, BZA case 20024 Special Exemption re Parking in the Park (DGS, and legal representatives) – (25 mins)
12. Grant Applications from Wilson HS Tiger Athletics, from Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, from Rock Creek Conservancy (5 Mins)
13. Whittle School Update and Historic Landmark Application (10 mins)
14. ABRA License renewals/Settlement Agreement Process (5 mins)
15. Approval of March 2019 Meeting Minutes (3 mins)
16. Other Business (10 mins)