Depending on whom you ask, historic preservation is either a boon to the neighborhood, or a bust for property owners. And it’s a matter that has come before the seven members of ANC 3F five times in the past three years.
At its July 18th meeting, ANC 3F will vote on forming an ad hoc committee on historic preservation.
“We hope to bring some order, consistency, and predictability to our approach to historic preservation decisions,” 3F Chair Malachy Nugent told us in an email. “We want community involvement in this process so will create an inclusive committee to drive the work forward.”
Also on the agenda: The ANC’s money. Nugent says the aim is to set a “standard” level of cash reserves in the 3F bank account, perhaps three to six months of expenses (our financial planner would be proud). He adds:
“Our spending is not outlandish by any means but once we made the (correct) decision, about 18 months ago, to stop hoarding money and start spending it on public goods instead I knew we’d eventually have to decide when to apply the brakes. So we’ve been crunching the numbers and debated among ourselves over the past few months to figure out how low it is prudent to let our bank balance go…. It’s part of our movement toward prudent fiscal management (and what you get when you elect a chairman who’s worked at the Treasury Department for 20 years!)”
The Beach Drive rehabilitation project is another agenda item of note. Writes Nugent:
“Someone from the National Park Service will update us on the work, including traffic plans in and around our neighborhood, and answer questions from the community.”
Here’s the full meeting notice and agenda:
ANC 3F will hold its next public meeting on July 18, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. at the University of the District of Columbia, Building 44, Room A03 (map).
The meeting agenda is below and copies of agenda items will be posted on our the Issues page of our website, www.anc3f.com, as they become available. You can also watch the meeting online, live or anytime, via our livestream link.
July 18, 2017, 7:30 pm
University of the District of Columbia (Bldg 44, Rm A03)
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Agenda (05 mins)
3. Commissioner Updates / Announcements (20 mins)
4. Committee Reports (20 mins)
5. Community Open Forum (20 mins)
6. Resolution Regarding Death with Dignity and Federal Intrusion in DC Local Affairs (15 min)
7. Discussion of Beach Drive Rehabilitation Project (10 min).
8. Resolution Establishing an ANC 3F Financial Reserve (15 min)
9. Resolution Creating an Ad Hoc Committee on Historic Preservation in ANC 3F (15 min)
10. Motion to Authorize Commissioners to speak on behalf of ANC 3F in August (10 min)
11. Other Business (10 minutes)